Right Hemicolectomy: Care Plans
Plan of Action for a Right Hemicolectomy
Hemicolectomy is a complex surgical intervention, and after it has been performed, pain is a regular symptom. According to Olson and Heise (2016), during a postoperative period, the most frequent complication is the suppuration of the operative wound of the abdominal wall. Also, the occurrence of the insolvency of intestinal sutures is possible. A plan of action for the nurse and the patient to engage in mutual goal setting for pain management may include the following stages: Right Hemicolectomy: Care Plans
- Remote radiation therapy to reduce the effects of acute pain.
- For the patient – observation and analysis of pain, its frequency and character (pulsating, acute, aching); for the nurse – the evaluation of information received from the patient.
- Locoregional anesthesia that is aimed at relieving patient’s severe discomfort.
- The analysis of the intensity of pain syndrome on a visual analogue scale from 1 to 10 points.
- Breathing exercises as a non-pharmacological method of care and part of middle range pain theory.
- In case of suspected peritonitis as one of the postoperative complications, taking antibiotics will help to avoid dangerous consequences. Right Hemicolectomy: Care Plans
Theory of Unpleasant Symptoms for Nausea
To make a plan for providing relevant medical care for nausea, it is possible to use the theory of unpleasant symptoms (TOUS) that is widely applied today. As Lee, Vincent, and Finnegan (2017) note, this concept proposes to isolate specific problems from the whole spectrum through appropriate interventions. In the context of nausea as the symptom in question, the care plan may include the following steps:
- Developing and introducing a symptom assessment scale.
- The analysis of the degree of nausea on the selected scale from 1 to 10 points.
- The diagnosis of related symptoms – vomiting, dizziness, or muscle weakness.
- Antecedent knowledge based on previous clinical observations.
- As intervention methods, both pharmacological techniques (antihistamines, absorbents), and sedatives (soothing natural remedies for neurotic nausea) may be utilized.
- As outcome measures for the intervention, prolonged nausea with related symptoms should be taken into account. Right Hemicolectomy: Care Plans