Week 8 Health and Wellness of Children with Hearing Loss Discussion
This discussion board has two different parts:
- Write your current research question.
- Based on the Wrench chapter, the video, and the other readings, who is normally the primary audience for a literature review? What type of language and tone would you expect in a literature review?
- Name 1-3 organizational strategies mentioned in the readings that might best serve your lit review (based on your current research question, the type of sources you have found, the types of claims you want to make, etc.). Why would those organizational strategies best help you make the argument and meet audience expectations? Week 8 Health and Wellness of Children with Hearing Loss Discussion
- From Wrench et al. or the University of North Carolina Writing Center Handout, choose one of the organizational strategies that you said may be the best fit for your topic.
- Based on the sources you have collected in the research logs so far, write an outline of your literature review.
- The outline should include main headers and subheaders and should reflect an organizational strategy found in the Wrench et al. article or or the University of North Carolina Writing Center Handout. Include possible claims within each subsection; short sentences are enough.
- Note any areas where you know you will need additional sources.
- You will continue adapting this outline, and it will become a draft of the literature review over the next few weeks. The goal is to begin organizing the information you have into sections. Week 8 Health and Wellness of Children with Hearing Loss Discussion
For example, a thematic lit review would have headers, each indicating a theme. For the question: How do we improve burnout in the nursing profession? The themes may be mental health, working conditions, labor shortages, credentialing. If you chose a problem-cause-solution for the same topic, then headers may be nurse burnout (problem), shift work/labor shortage (causes), mental health support/different working hours (solution). Note that how you organize information in a lit review helps you make some claims and not others and makes some claims more or less salient.
READ and REVIEW students samples in the Week 8 Lesson 15 module.
REREAD instructions for the LITERATURE REVIEW
READ Ch. 5: A Closer Look at Evaluating Literature Reviews from Evaluating Research in Academic Journals.pdf Evaluating Research in Academic Journals.pdf – Alternative Formats
1. Based on the 5 evaluation questions from CH. 5 compare, evaluate, and analyze how well each of the student sample meets those 5 criteria. What is missing and what could be improved on? Make sure to analyze all of the samples.
2. How do these student samples compare to the requirements of the lit review for our class? What similar and what is different?
3. How do seeing student samples help you to start to develop your own lit review? Week 8 Health and Wellness of Children with Hearing Loss Discussion