N5366 Principles of Research in Nursing
Submit by the due date and time listed in your syllabus.
Submitting your assignment
· Save this document to your desktop as a Word document.
· Open the document from your desktop and review the assignment instructions and grading rubric.
· Create a separate Word document for your paper.
· Return to Blackboard and your paper to the submission link in Module 4. N5366 Principles of Research in Nursing
This assignment will allow you to create a review of literature summary following the guidelines in Gray, Grove, & Sutherland (2017) Chapter 7 (pay attention to the Writing of the Review section) & 18. You will share your findings using an APA formatted paper.
Instructions for Completing Your Assignment
· Step one: Complete the readings from Module 3 & 4, focusing on Chapter 5, 7, 18, 20 and 21.
· Step two: Use your four articles that you found in Module 3 for the PINCH Table. These studies need to relate to your topic and clinical problem.
Two of the studies must be prospective and quantitative. The other two can be retrospective or prospective, but still need to be quantitative.
· Step three: If you have questions about your ROL paper, post them to the Q & A discussion board for feedback from your peers / coach / instructor.
· Step four: Write up your findings in paragraph form using APA format and submit them to Blackboard by the due date and time listed in your syllabus. Here’s how to write up your findings:
· Start with a APA cover page.
· Section 1: Develop your title of your paper. Include your topic, population, variables, setting. (Look at titles of articles in the literature.)
· Section 2: This is your opening paragraph.
· Start with an introduction statement.
· Describe how you performed your ROL.
· Explain why was it important (share the dollars, morbidity / mortality, statistics, safety stats you found with citation)? Refer to your Module 1 DB and Pinch Table. N5366 Principles of Research in Nursing
· State your problem and purpose statements for your paper.
· Section 3: Synthesize the four research articles about your topic that you critiqued in Module 1. Analysis may include clustering and interrelating ideas from the studies to form an overall representation of the conceptual definitions, descriptions, interventions, instruments, and strengths and weaknesses of the body of knowledge represented by the articles, not the individual articles. See the examples in Chapter 7 (in particular,Synthesizing Sources) Gray, Grove, & Sutherland (2017). Remember that you have already appraised your individual articles in the PINCH table, this is the synthesis and summary of the studies.
· Section 4: What did your ROL add to your knowledge on this topic? Summarize the current knowledge and what you learned about your topic.
· Section 5: APA style and formatting is graded according to the RUBRIC. Limit your paper to two pages not including the Cover and Reference pages.
Note to students about writing up your findings:
· This is a formal APA paper. Look at the Rubric below for more APA information for this paper.
· Don’t forget to use your APA resources!
· Don’t forget to use the group discussion board for additional questions about your paper.
· Turn your paper in to the submission link under the Assignments Tab in Module 4 at the due date and time listed in your syllabus.
· Possible points for this assignment: 100 points
Use this rubric to guide your work the assignment. Points are awarded for each section based on content and clarity of expression. N5366 Principles of Research in Nursing
(Maximum points awarded)
(Points awarded based on content)
(Minimum points awarded)
Title of Review of Literature paper
|Title page done according to APA in the APA Manual or APA Easy Way.
Title of paper includes the topic, key variables, population and setting.
10 – 9 points
|Missing title page
Missing one element of title.
8 – 3 points
|Title page missing.
Two or more missing elements in title..
(Review Chapter 5 & 7 and note samples in the text.)
|Introduction statement(s) present with description of topic. Topic is narrow enough in focus to be able to search.
Describes how the review of literature was accomplished when searching for articles. (Identify key words and data- bases used. Limitations used for the search.
Explain why was it important (share the dollars, morbidity / mortality, statistics, safety stats you found with citation)?
Identifies the research problem and gap in the research literature.
States the purpose for the review of literature based on the problem.
Statement of what will and will not be covered in the ROL.
20 – 15 points
|Topic too broad.
Vague description of how the review of literature was
Research problem not clear.
Purpose statement missing elements.
14- 8 points
|No introduction statement.
No description of how the ROL was done.
Research problem not identified.
Purpose statement missing
7 – 0 points
|Analysis / Synthesis of Relevant Literature
|Articles explicitly tie to the topic.
Articles are current (within 5 years) or clearly state why older articles are appropriate N5366 Principles of Research in Nursing
Analysis may include design type, conceptual definitions, descriptions, interventions, instruments, and strengths and weaknesses of the body of knowledge represented by the articles, not the individual articles.
4 articles analyzed.
30 – 25 points
|Articles vaguely tied to the topic.
Some articles not current and no explanation of why.
Analysis of each article with vague synthesis of knowledge.
Less than 4 articles analyzed.
24 – 15 points
|No attempt to connect article to topic
Inadequate synthesis of articles.
14 – 0 points
|A concise summary of the current knowledge and what was learned is present.
20 – 15 points
|A vague summary of the current knowledge or what was learned.
14 – 8 points
|Poor or no attempt to summarize information from the resources.
7 – 0 points
|APA Style and Formatting
|APA formatting for this paper will follow the guidelines for general formatting, for example: in text-citations, margins, headings alignment and line spacing, font type and size, paragraph indentation, page headers, grammar, punctuation and the reference page as explained in the 2nd edition of APA the Easy Way or the 6th edition of the APA Manual.
· Do not use 1st person in a formal paper.
· Do not use direct quotes, instead summarize and paraphrase what you are reading. More than two quotes will receive multiple point deductions.
· Please do not forget to use a cover page.
· Maximum number of pages for this assignment is 2 pages (not including the title page or references.
The first time an APA error is discovered, it will be pointed out to you and a point will be deducted from your paper. Maximum number of points deducted for APA errors, 20 points
N5366 Principles of Research in Nursing