Book Review #1- “The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down”
- Explain why Foua Yang’s birthdate may have been different in various locations in the medical charts?
- Describe how the history of the Hmong people as discussed in chapter two may have influenced Foua and Nao Kao’s perception of the physicians and nurses who appear to be in charge of their daughter’s care?
- How do you think having an interpreter might have improved the outcomes of Lia’s numerous emergency room visits up to this point? cultural diversity
- Discuss the differences in conceptual frameworks that may have led Foua and Nao Kao and the caregivers at Merced County hospital to misunderstand one another during Lia’s admissions?
- How may have Foua and Nao Kao experienced cultural pain during the experience of Lia’s birth in the United States?
Students will write a typed summary of questions that pertain to weekly readings assigned to Fadiman (1997) text.
Grading will focus primarily on demonstration of your understanding and reflection on the content of the questions with ease of reading/organization as a secondary focus. Remember to use APA formatting for each book report which means there will be a cover page and reference page included with each book review. In this case, it is ok to use the first person when responding to questions that ask for your personal values/input/reflection. Answers to questions must be at least 100 words and should be typed and double spaced with 12 point font. Please include the number of the question and then include a summary of the question in your response.
Example: 1. Foua Lee and Neil Ernst appeared to finally make peace with one another cultural diversity