An Innovative and Creative Approach to Assessment
Complete this assessment fourth.
For this assessment, you will reflect on various aspects of your capstone experience. This will give you a chance to discuss elements of the project of which you are proud and aspects of the experience that will help you grow in your personal practice and nursing career.
Demonstration of Proficiency
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 2: Make clinical and operational decisions based upon the best available evidence.
- Reflect on how evidence and the literature were utilized to plan and implement a capstone project, as well as how project outcomes compared to initial predictions based on a review of the literature. An Innovative and Creative Approach to Assessment
- Competency 4: Apply health information and patient care technology to improve patient and systems outcomes.
- Reflect on the degree to which health care technology was successfully used in the capstone project to improve outcomes or communication to relevant stakeholders.
- Competency 5: Analyze the impact of health policy on quality and cost of care.
- Reflect on how organizational and governmental health policy influenced the planning and implementation of a capstone project, as well as any contributions to policy development made by the project.
- Competency 8: Integrate professional standards and values into practice.
- Reflect on personal and professional growth throughout the capstone project and the BSN program, with special attention to growth related to ethical care provision and demonstration of professional standards.
- Communicate professionally and audibly, using proper grammar and current APA style.
Important: You must complete all of the assessments in order for this course.
BSN-prepared nurses have many opportunities to reflect on their contributions to patient care outcomes during clinical experiences. After a patient care interaction, it is important to evaluate how well you addressed the criteria set for the nurse-patient interaction and consider future improvements. Research suggests that creating and sharing video reflections may enhance learning (Speed, Lucarelli, & Macaulay, 2018). An Innovative and Creative Approach to Assessment
This assessment requires you to prepare a 5–10 minute video reflection on your capstone clinical practicum experience. Note: If you require the use of assistive technology or alternative communication methods to participate in this activity, please contact DisabilityServices@Capella.edu to request accommodations. If you are unable to record a video, please contact your faculty member as soon as possible to explore options for completing the assessment.
Complete the following preparatory activities:
- If necessary, set up and test your microphone or headset per the manufacturer instructions.
- Practice using the equipment to ensure the audio quality is sufficient.
- Consult the Campus resource Using Kaltura [PDF] for guidance on recording and uploading your assessment in the courseroom.
- Begin developing your reflection. Some questions you might address in your reflection video are:
- What were your most important outcomes or findings?
- What challenges did you overcome throughout your project?
- How did your initial research and evidence base help you plan and execute your capstone project?
- How were the outcomes similar to and different from your expectations?
- How did you feel your professional product turned out?
- What impacts of the implementation of your professional product did you observe?
- To what degree were you successful in using technology in your capstone project?
- How did organizational or governmental health policy impact the way in which you approached your project?
- What contributions did you make to your organization’s policies throughout the course of your project? An Innovative and Creative Approach to Assessment
- In which areas do you feel you grew the most?
- How will your learning affect your professional practice and ability to implement ethical care in accordance with professional codes of conduct?
- What would you do differently if you could do the capstone project or program again?
- What accomplishment are you most proud of, within the context of the capstone or the program as a whole?
- Examine your capstone project through the lens of your initial plan and literature review.
Use Kaltura to record a 5–10 minute video reflection addressing the following scoring guide grading criteria. Please study the scoring guide carefully so you know what is needed for a distinguished score:
- Reflect on how evidence and the literature were utilized to plan and implement a capstone project, as well as how project outcomes compared to initial predictions based on a review of the literature.
- Reflect on the degree to which health care technology was successfully used to improve outcomes or communication to relevant stakeholders in the capstone project.
- Reflect on how organizational and governmental health policy influenced the planning and implementation of a capstone project as well as any contributions to policy development that the project made.
- Reflect on personal and professional growth throughout the capstone project and the BSN program, paying special attention to growth related to the provision of ethical care and demonstration of professional standards.
- Communicate audibly and professionally, using proper grammar and including a reference list formatted in current APA style. An Innovative and Creative Approach to Assessment
Important Note: You do not need to submit the transcript of your video, but do address each scoring guide criterion in the video, including a discussion of authors in the literature who support the ideas presented. Please submit a separate APA-formatted reference list for the resources discussed in your reflection.
- References: Cite a minimum of three scholarly and/or authoritative sources to support your assertions.
- APA style and format: Submit, along with the video, a separate references page that follows APA style and formatting guidelines. Refer to the APA Module as needed.
Portfolio Prompt: Remember to save the assessment to your ePortfolio. After you complete your program you may want to consider leveraging your Portfolio as part of a job search or other demonstration of your academic competencies.
Speed, C. J., Lucarelli, G. A., & Macaulay, J. O. (2018). Student produced videos – An innovative and creative approach to assessment. Sciedu International Journal of Higher Education, 7(4). Retrieved from http://www.sciedu.ca/journal/index.php/ijhe/article/view/13820 An Innovative and Creative Approach to Assessment